Monday, March 14, 2016

Tighter

Tighter



Tighter                                                3/14/2016
In my dreams
I remember
But when I awaken
It all  fades away.

The best words come
In the gray twilight
In the meditative deep
Half aware and half asleep.

I am not the same,
And I never will be again
Not because of who I am
But because
Of what I have seen.

I was blessed
And had all I wanted
But it was never enough
A slave to my emotions
One way or another.

The world is both beautiful,
And also ugly
Separated by the smallest of fractions
The one and the other. 

I look at my self
And  know I don't belong
A stranger experiencing life
From a great distance.

The women walk by
Dressed in their tightest clothes
But now I just feel sad
And full of regret.

I was cut
And I was straightened
Humbled
And hurt.

Never knowing
How I would make it
Through the morning
Or through the night. 

Rudderless I drifted
And loveless I bled
Drowning in my sorrows
Without anyone
To hold.

The weight pressed down
Squeezing my ribs
Until I could barely breathe
Tightly confined
With no way out. 

Others escape
And some kill themselves
All in an instant
Or the long way around. 

But I just notched the time
And tried to forget
Anesthetizing my heart
With anything I could get. 

I barely made it
And here I write
Still different
And incomplete.

I listen to the world
And I smile at the thought
That even in heartbreak
Children still laugh
And play. 

Knowing is a weight
And fear is a vise
Stealing our peace
And attacking our subconscious. 

But I finally learned
How to swallow it down
Transforming the pain
And turning it around.

Now the wounds
Can be weapons
And now the loss
A priceless treasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment