Monday, October 27, 2014

Victorian



Lathe and Plaster 10/27/2014

Today I am wordless
As my mind leaps
From place to place
Random, disjointed
Fearful and sad.

I am guarded
And I am alone
Untouchable in my chair
High above the street.

I can’t go back
And I can’t make it right
No matter what I wish
Or how hard I try.

It’s not enough
But it’s all I can offer  
An invisible promise
Suspended in air. 

There are many things
That I have dreamed
Some impossible
But others
I do not know. 

None of it, dies easily
And all of it hurts
Yes, even the good times
Unappreciated, and unfinished.

If I could
I would go back
And absorb every detail
Because memory
Only scratches the surface.

I want to crawl through
The attic tunnel
And follow it
All around the eaves.

I want to tear off the wood
Behind the fireplace
Uncovering the passage
That my father
Had forbidden. 

I want to climb the roof
And sit on a lawn chair
Watching the sunrise
Pink, red, and orange. 

Something, anything
Meaningful and authentic
Physically alive
And spiritually aware.

There is so much more
Than this day will show
As we keep our peace
And sigh in our sleep. 

We carve our names
But never return
Wasting away
And picking at our scabs.   

The past is like a haunted house
Like the one I grew up in
Viewed through a foggy lens
A beautiful and secretive ruin.    

The silent dead
Have no voice
And the silent living
Have no choice.

Half alive
And half asleep
Half understood
Mild, meek and dumb.    

No comments:

Post a Comment