Thursday, July 31, 2014

Ransom

Dead Ransom 7/31/2014



The only women I ever kept
Are the ones I never touched
And the only friends who remain
Are the ones
For which I prayed. 

There is a river in my heart
Running cold, clear, and, fast
Separating the outer from the inner
And infatuation from love.

If I had only known
When I was young
Just how painful it could be
To cross the river unwittingly,
Dumb, and naive.

It is easy to turn back
And it is easy to be afraid
But once the lines are crossed
Only heartache will result.

I built bridges
And I tried with all my heart
But in the end
We are all destined to fail
And lose. 

Without risk
We remain a child
Pretending with puppets
In endless day dreams. 

But once we cross over
There is no turning back
As our eyes are opened
And no secrets remain.

I loved the idea of love
Without any idea
Of the cost
Or consequence.

Flirting with the margins
Just out of view
Always thinking
But never doing.

We forget over time
And the sharpest of pains
Become dull and distant
Until we venture too far
And are afraid.

We dry our tears
And move on
Slowly and carefully
Tiptoeing through
Another minefield.

I don’t know what is worse
If it is losing
Or not knowing
Or maybe it is knowing
And believing. 

I am loved
But I am also guarded
Holding my deepest self
Like a hostage in a tower
Remote and alone.

Everyone else, can see me
But they are on the other side
Where the grass is always greener
And the memories more painful.    

They do things
That I once did
And they laugh at absurdities
That I once knew. 

But this is not about me
And it’s not about them
As I work upwards
One day at a time. 

Stoically going to work
And then coming back home
Training myself
All about what matters
And is lasting. 

The victories are small
But the thrill is the same
As I contemplate the grace
Of faith and trust.

There will never be a more perfect day
And there will never be a perfect person
But we can still emerge
Wealthier in wisdom
And richer in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment