Monday, April 15, 2013

Dead Mans Burden

Dead Man's Burden 4/15/2013

You can hear them everywhere
In the office
Or on the bus
Talking all the time
All about themselves
And all about nothing.

People chatter on the phone
Shallow, dumb, and predictable
Never real and never true .
And just as sickening as ever

They make small talk
And they talk about the weather
Distracted by fake reality
And wishful thinking.

They plan their vacations
And they mock their neighbors
Making every decision
Based on selfishness
And convenience.

There is nothing better
Than being authentic
True to oneself
And the world.

But it would be foolish to expect
Anything close to acknowledgement
Or appreciation
Because a good man
Must always remember
Who he is
And where he is.

People wobble
And people waffle
Never able to stick to principal
Or honor what is right.

They make speeches
But stand for nothing
Except for lining their pockets
Every chance they get.

The good are sold out
And left without help
Their deaths all covered up
And forgotten.

No one remembers their name
And no one speaks about what happened
Because that would expose the truth
Full of treachery and horror.

People fear losing face
And people fear losing their job,
Reputation and money
Fearing the fall
From the grace of men.

But he who has a heart
Let him listen
To the screams of the forgotten
And the cries of the rejected.

For them I have lowered my head
And prayed
Trying hard to remember
Every single one.

When I was down
They tried to destroy me
Taking all that I had
Or ever hoped for.

Grinding me down to nothing
And reminding me every day
Covering me with a great weight
So that I might never stand.

But it is I
Who has stood up
And almost found my footing
My face bloody
And my name ruined.

But I want more than vengeance
And I want more than a reward
Nothing less than life eternal
At the endless feast of God.

Today is the day
To know what you do
With your heart hidden
And staring straight ahead.

Boring down on the truth
without flinching
No matter how much it hurts
Or what it reveals.

Our teeth are sharp
And our minds alert
Awakened, angry,
Determined and defiant.


No comments:

Post a Comment