Thursday, December 11, 2014

Swordplay



Swordplay 12/11/2014

I did what I was told
And I tried to do
What I thought was right
Just as I had learned
From my mother
And my father.

No one is perfect
But I really tried 
To follow the rules
But what does that even mean?
When every rule is broken
And changed at will.      

The good are crushed with burdens
And waste their energy
Jumping through hoops
Struggling to grasp a dream
More elusive every day.

Why would you crush?
Your backbone
And why would you rob?
Your own breadbasket. 

Plundering centuries of work
By diluting their voice
Cutting off the hand that has fed you
A thousand times before.

Blessings cannot be stolen
And that is the oldest lie
As evil caused envy
And murder. 

I tried to do
What was right
But I paid a heavy price
Buried under the rubble
Of everything I loved. 

Without help
And without a hand
Exposed, ashamed,
Savaged, and robbed. 

Deliberately forgotten
And reminded every day
About how worthless I was
Replaced and abused.

There is nothing left to lose
And nothing left to defend
Except for our souls
And those we leave behind. 

The real treasure is inside
And cannot be lost
If only we believe
And never give in. 

It’s time to break the rules
And it’s time to tell the truth
Wielding it like a sword
And never backing down. 

Friends can be lost
And so can your status
But our souls are more important
And we will live with them,
Forever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment