Monday, April 23, 2012

Wear a Black Ribbon


Where a Black Ribbon     4/23/2012  


Double diamond seventeen
Makes me think
Of people and shapes
As the codes endlessly stream
To make me
Who I am.
 
I am coming home
And bringing hell with me
Burning long streaks
Down a black ribbon road.

You can hear the sound
Of explosive detonations
As they reverberate
Inside of metal
Furiously churning
Hotter and hotter. 

The fire fight has begun
And I have no time
For any apologies
Just using up all that I can
And laying waste
Along the way.

The codes stream through my mind
As I remember
Each and every one
Spinning out of memory
At just the right time.

 History stretches out
And reaches backwards
Into the hidden black places
Deep under the ground.

 The kind of places
Where experiments are conducted
Where life can be created
Engineered and mutated.

You can see the afterglow
If you stare long enough
The truth behind the lies
And the clues in the dust.

Some men are trained
And some men are ravaged
Hunting the hunters
Out on the range.

I am an anachronism
And I am an enigma
An aberrant personality
Defiant and rebellious.

A square peg
With all his edges broken
Force fitted into the groove
And wedged in tight.

Always searching
And always uncomfortable
Restrained, restricted,
Unfinished and unknown.

Drug along
But fighting for every inch
Unreformed
And unrepentant.

Where are the warrior poets?
And where are the courageous?
As silent as the dead
And hiding in the shadows.

Live, breathe and fight
As long as you’re able
And as long as you can
Because even death cannot kill
What the spirit has won.

But this isn’t about me
Because I am not alone
And neither are you
But one of many
Unseen and unheard.

Flip the switch
And turn on the light
But be ready to notice
And be ready to fight.
 
For we battle with more than swords
And we fight more than men
But complacency, ignorance
Denial and  deception.

Take back the day
And take back the night
Even if it risky
And even if it hurts.
 
Because a life without pain
Is like a life without joy
And better it is to pay the price
Than it is to lose your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment