Thursday, April 5, 2012

Holding Patrick

Holding Patrick 4/5/2012

The orange sun sets
And peers through the clouds
Dull enough to see
As it glows behind the haze.

The grass is cool
And blanket is soft
So I lay down on my back
Listening to the sounds
Of my family at the park.

The children are running
And shrieking with joy
As they run through the fountains
Of white bubbling water.

Drenched in the cold water
They laugh and play
Exuberant, uninhibited,
And exclaiming with abandon.

My little son
Rocks back and forth
Happily babbling
Joyous gibberish.

He crawls on the grass
And watches the kids
Eyes shining
And smiling.

Healing my heart
And restoring my faith.
As the wounds of the day
Soften, shrink
And melt all away.

For the moment
There is peace
And all things are beautiful
And understood.

I pick him up
And kiss his cheek
My little boy
Sweet and loving.

We all have work to do
And for me
It is for him
A future full of promise
If I try.

My world is here
And his world, is still becoming
A precious gift
Fragile, exquisite,
Innocent and pure.

And it doesn't matter
Whether I deserve it
Becuase It is better to be thankful
Than it is to doubt.

I hold him up
And marvel at my blessing
The greatest gift in the world
To teach, shape, love, and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment