Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Aftershock


Aftershock      4/24/2012

For now
The drama is over
But for me
I can’t see the difference.

A strange numbness
Envelopes my brain
Leaving me emotionless
And drained.

Life and love
Are full of highs
And lows
Because we always forget
The in between
Lost to time.

But this is where
We succeed or fail
And this is where
We lose our way.

I have loved before
And it was such a good feeling
As euphoric as I could be
And impervious to pain.

 Nothing could touch me
And nothing could hurt me
With a wit as sharp as a razor
And a heart made of stone.

Time stood still
As I basked in the glory
With everything I ever wanted
Ready and willing.

Dead center
In the best place
I could ever dream of
Or hope for.

But that was before
And this is after
And now I look backwards
And shake my head.

That I could be so foolish
To think, I could have it all
Because there I was at the summit
Like a giant before the fall.

I never stopped to think
Before I came to a ledge
Diving headlong into my emotions
Irresistibly calling me out
And begging me home.

I stared into her eyes
Of glowing amber
Half closed like a cat
But never ever seeing
What I had
Or what I missed.

Some people will tell you
What it is, that they want
But others just hold it in
And hate you in the dark.

She slowly disappeared
And I never noticed
Slipping through my fingers
In incremental amounts.

She was gone
Before I noticed
And by then it was too late
As I  franticly waved my arms
At a formless body of smoke.

You can’t go back
But it’s hard to move forward
When you remember every word
And they never fade away.

In the end
The ghost is me
An invisible man
In a world of the dead.

Unable to let go
And unable to leave
Still lingering in shadows
An reliving my death.




No comments:

Post a Comment