Monday, November 17, 2014

Older

Older  11/17/2014



I thought I knew it all
But I didn’t know a thing
But that was before
And this is now. 

It is a long walk
And every street looks the same
Cold, gray and wet
Tense, threatening and empty. 

It is easy to imagine
But much harder to handle
When you are all alone
And empty handed. 

I should have known better
That I was ripe for the fall
Because that is what happens
When you ask to know. 

But what was meant to kill
Has given me life
As I rise up, to try
Again and again.

I lost my mother
And I lost my father
I lost my house
And I lost my car

I lost my love
And I became as stranger
To the child
I had raised
As one of my own. 

My son was shot
And nearly killed
But there was nothing I could do
A thousand miles away. 

All the things I counted on
Were swept away
Pulled out under my feet
And throwing me head over heels.

Turned over like a scorpion
And thrown through the air
Until I could barely breathe
And thought I would die. 

But in surviving
We all should learn something
That there is more
Than what we see
And what we have
Is nothing at all. 

We will never keep a thing
Except who we are
And how we have lived
But that is forever
So we must do it right. 

Kick the pin
And let it all fall down
Because in the end
The good will live
No matter what is taken
And what is left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment