Friday, January 17, 2014

Tumbled



Tumbled 1/17/2014

Some blessings
Are not what they appear
And some of the greatest gifts
Are not treasures at all.

Experience makes us remember
And comfort makes us forget
About what it feels like to try
And come home
With empty hands.

It is easy to hate
And hold in contempt
Those we have seen fall
And wallow in despair. 

We think we are better
And we think we are immune
But all of this 
Can disappear in a moment
And leave us
With nothing left at all.

Sunny day friends
And situational ethics
Determine many decisions
And guide many hearts.

Here for one day
And gone the next
As indifferent as it is cruel
The fake smiles
And dismissive arrogance.

So who am I?
To be angry
And what is there to resent
Or regret. 

For I have had the glory
And I have had the grace
To learn how far
Even the mighty can fall
And still stand alone.

Yes I have been forgotten
And yes I have felt betrayal
Sold out for almost nothing
Mocked, trashed, and discarded. 

I know what it feels like
And I can see what it means
Because approval and rewards
Mean nothing
If insincere or unearned. 

Yes the world is corrupted
And yes sometimes
The liars win
But they are just dust
Like me and like you. 

They will never understand
And they will never know
Lost in themselves
And shallow pursuits. 

Comfortable and complacent
Bought off and paid for
As they compromise away
The one precious thing
That the good, can never lose.







No comments:

Post a Comment