Friday, February 22, 2013

Drizzle


Drizzle 2/22/2013

The sadness cannot be ignored
And neither can the day
Rising up unwelcome and dreaded
The sun and all its death.

I look away from the screen
But nothing every changes
The end always comes
Brutal and heavy.

It takes a lot to stand
When everything collapses around you
And everything you believed in
Crumbles under your feet.

What do you say
And how do you say it
To the four walls
Of a silent room
Dumb, dead, and mute
Hard, cold and gray.

This is not what I planned
And this is not what I dreamed
Nothing but a lot of nothing
Stretching out
As far as I can see.

Others have lived
And others have tried
Flinging themselves
Against a rock
Till they died.

I look at them
And I look at me
Wondering what I should do
And when.

We look for pleasure
But it never lasts
Taken away before we even knew
How disappointed we were.

You can say I didn’t know
And that much is true
But what good is knowledge
After everything is lost.

There is no paradise
Not in this dead world
Nothing but worm food
At room temperature.

The ships have all sailed
And we are at the dock
With nothing left to do
But wave and watch them go.

But no ship lasts forever
And the bottom is full of rust
Splitting open in shallow waters
To dump out the rest.

The good and even the bad
Are destined to give in and out
Swallowed up by the earth
To sleep in the dust.

I carry on
And worry about tomorrow
Even though it won’t matter
What I think or feel.

I am a ghost
And I am a mystery
Just another riddle
Inside of a bag of bones.

The unknown awaits
But what is there to fear
Because without promise
Life has no meaning
And without God
No purpose.

I’ll make my bet
And put it all on the line
Better to finish the race standing
Come what may.

No comments:

Post a Comment