Thursday, August 20, 2015

Two and Twenty



Two and Twenty    8/20/2015

Black birds circle
In a dark and dusky sky
Smudged through a windshield
Diving and crying.    

Circling me
As I circle down
Spinning faster and faster
Over the drain
And under the spout. 

Thick as soup
And pregnant with anticipation
The weight of time
Full of fuel
And lightning. 

I thought I was free
And I thought I could skate
Coasting through life
Effortless and smooth. 

But thin  ice
Will crack under pressure
Dropping us through
And locking us down. 

And many have died
Back home in the ponds
Venturing out
When they should have stayed home.

The truth is
I never really tried
Paralyzed and impotent
With no one to pull me up
And no one to break me through. 

Staring sideways
Into a monochromatic wasteland
Frozen, white,
Gray and dead. 

Numb to the pain
And bleeding from the head
Dripping on the ice
Shocking and bright. 

Careless when we should be cautious
And timid when we should have fought
We pull against ourselves
And swing at shadows. 

Stomping on bugs
And abandoning our friends
We run from the evil
Exploding all around. 

Prostrating ourselves
Before little gods of clay
Obeying every rule
With empty heads
And frozen feet.

Furtively looking
And plaintively waiting
For someone else to help  
And someone else to act. 

No comments:

Post a Comment