Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Drinking Jar




The Drinking Jar 1/28/2015

It was cold
So I slept in my clothes
Covered up
And freezing over
In cold, clear, Carolina.

Rubbing my eyes
And stumbling forward
I guzzled coffee
Brown, and bitter
In deep, dark, Carolina.

A couple more days
And I will drive home
Burning through the memories
Stretching out behind. 

The wilderness calls
But the swamp keeps it’s secrets
As my mind drifts
In old, haunted, Carolina.

Take me back
And let us drink from jars
Laughing at life
And singing in a circle.

Let us embrace
And never let go
Hiding behind a white column
In warm, sweet, Carolina. 

Sliding downward
In our heads
We all need a moment
To think and recapture. 

It is happy
And it is sad
Like an old friend
Poignant, loyal
And poetic Carolina.      

No comments:

Post a Comment