Friday, September 9, 2011

The Treasure Hunt





The Treasure Hunt 9/9/2011





The trees bear fruit



And it has ripened in time



Heavy with juice



And ready to fall.







And what was once



Shall be again



And all the treasure



Once lost



Shall live again



In heaven and on earth.







Even death has a memory



And even in the smoking ruins



You can find pieces of the past



The charred pieces that make you cry



As they are carried upwards



And in the ashes fly.







I too have seen



And I too have known



And but for the smallest of chances



I too would smile.







I remember all my treasure



But not the kind you might think



Because it is not about the money



And it’s not about my name.







It’s not about how it looks



Because I never tired to take



And I never tried to win



For all I wanted was to save



What could not be won



And could not be possessed.







I hung on every single word



And I woke up with anticipation



Every single day



Because there was hope in the air



And I was loved.







If I had only known



Just how precious life could be



There is so much I would have done



And so much I would have saved.







But sometimes life is wasted



On the young and the foolish



And we squander the greatest of treasures



Out of stupidity



And useless angst.







Like a sheep to the slaughter



We follow our nose to death



Never looking up



And never looking ahead.







I polished my shoes



And I longed for the day



Trading e-mails with friends



And long leisurely lunches.







But I was not ready



Because I did not know



And words don’t mean a thing



Until you have lived



And suffered them through.







I could cry



But it does no good



And I could walk



But each step is painful.







I was lucky



And the words haunt my dreams



Because I knew and tried to save



What could not be saved.







We all seek comfort and safety



But there is no help for the lonely



And no dreams for the poor



Nothing but agony



And nothing but grief.







I would trade all my treasure



For a pearl of great value



But it is wasted upon the foolish



Who only see the food.








They only live



From the outside in



Because inside they are empty



Without a conscience or a soul.







Simple, shallow, dumb and dead



Manipulative and cruel



They listen just to please



And give just to steal.







They look for a rich harvest



But care nothing for the vine



Because all they want is appearance



And care nothing for the cost.







They think no one has noticed



And they cover all their tracks



But although their harvest ripens



It shall die all at once.







You can wash the dirt off your face



But it won’t change a thing



Because if there is no food in the fridge



And no gas in the car



Then no matter how much you try



You won’t get very far.







We are just fumbling in the dark



Never knowing what to do



And never knowing what to say



Spending our lives treading water



Further and further down the river.







Water passes under the bridge



But I can still see the looks of horror



As people watch all they loved



Carried away and disappear.








There is nothing quite as tragic



Than those who must watch



And be reminded every day



Everything that they had



And everything that they lost.







Everything takes time



And even poison



Doesn’t kill instantly



Working its way through the system



To take our breath away.







The sentence has been delivered



And the time for change is over



And those close will also suffer



Because they knew



And did not act.







You can call once



Or you can call a thousand times



But you will get what is coming



And will wither on the vine.







An honest farmer



Can lose his harvest



And have nothing left



But evil men shall have no warning



When everything dies at once.







Looks are deceiving



And people try very hard



But if they ignore what’s inside



Then the truth will devour them alive.







They can talk



And they can think



By I have been a lot of places



And I have heard it all before.







They have never had



A dark night of the soul



And they have never stared



Into the setting sun.







They have never held the dying



And they have never faced the truth



The kind that grabs you



And just won’t let go.







They have not suffered through



The hardship that tests your strength



Or made the tough choices



And stood the against the consequences



The whole way through.







It is done



And it is finished



Because the good die only once



And then live forever.







But men of lies and cruelty



Shall suffer more than me



Because the end has only begun



And only the good are forgiven.







Sliding back is effortless



And giving up is easy



And so many have died



Without every really knowing



Exactly who they were.







They spent their time



Trying on other people’s lives



And wearing other peoples masks



Giving in



And giving up.







If I lose



And if I die



I shall bear the burden



And finish with honor.







For better it is



To lose the world



Than to lose your soul



For a few pieces of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment