Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Slipshod                              12/13/2016



I could have set my watch
And counted it down
The inevitable childishness
Of hatred and envy. 

With nothing too low
And nothing off limits
Doubled down
Ever more shrill
And cruel. 

I did not ask for much
But I got nothing at all
As I watched an endless parade
Walk out my front door. 

For some
There is only hatred
And nothing is too small
Or sacred
To use and injure. 

Ever more bold
And ever more brazen
Taking everything
And leaving nothing. 

The weak give in
And do what they want
Worn down and haggard
Beaten and dumb. 

Using children
As leverage
And lying every day
Anything for advantage
And anything to win. 

All of it falling
On the shoulders of the good
The sacrifice made
All over again. 

I did what I could
But it was never enough
All of it wasted
Sucked through
And dashed away.

Hurt and hurt again
Relentless and pointless
The unending need of some
To win at all cost. 

Someday their foot will slip
And their hand will be caught
When the tables are turned
And everyone can see.

In the middle of the day 
They will also stumble
Exposed to all 
Red as blood.   

They think they have won
And they have succeeded
But even in loss
I remain undefeated. 

Dried up
And blown away
Lost to the vacuum
In their eye. 

Let it all come down
And let it all come out
Every single one
In the blink of an eye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment