Thursday, December 8, 2016

Fishbowl



The Fishbowl                  12/8/2016

There is a reason
That I still try
The same reason I smile
Even when it hurts.

The world
It will crush you
And leave you with nothing
All gone in an instant
Like you never lived at all.

When I had everything
I didn’t know a thing
Living in a theory
Somewhere over my head.

But when I lay gasping
It was then that I knew
What it felt like to lose
Unfairly attacked
And unjustly accused. 

Much will be forgotten
But some things are forever
Buried deep in the flesh
And seared into memory. 

Still hurting
And still bleeding
The fresh wounds of history
Gaping and raw. 

I did not know
And I did not see
The full threat of deception
Sudden and cruel. 

Cutting me in half
And dragged across my throat
The sharp edge of hatred
And avarice.

I was taught to be good
But many are not like us
Beasts in men’s clothing
Soulless and deadly. 

Multiplying in darkness
And dormant in the day
Visible only for a second
As you drown in blood. 

The truth is real
But a  lie
Will always be fake
No matter what is said
Or what they take. 

We should have known
And seen it sooner
The hidden hand
Under the table.  

But many are those
Who never said a word
Glimpsing too late
The flashing teeth
Of murder. 

Liars lie
And fakers fake
But the truth remains
No matter what.

And every day we live
And every day we smile
Evil rages
Dead in hell.

Walking up
And walking out
We who know
And no longer fear. 

Holding up our head
And laughing at their hate
Boldly going forth
Determined and defiant. 

Speaking the truth
The one we always knew
No matter how uncertain
And no matter how hard. 

For he who stands it now
Shall overcome the world
With all the power in us
From God
For all.   

No comments:

Post a Comment