Friday, May 22, 2015

The Shadow Box



Two thoughts  5/22/2015

One

Maybe you didn’t know
And maybe you haven’t heard
That another person was murdered
And nobody said a word. 

The day you cannot criticize
Is the day. the deed is done
As the untouchable swim in a circle
To eat us, 
One by one.

An army of locusts
Eats across the sand
Sucking up all the blood
In a plague upon man. 

While we argue over nothing
They continue down the path
Burning, beating and killing
Everything they can.

I was left with nothing
So I had to pay the price
Learning how to walk
And learning how to swim.

They broke my knees
But I still, stood up to stand
Knowing why
And knowing how. 

It is not enough to steal
Because they know it hurts
If you know
So they make sure you see, 
And they can show.

This is the day
And this is the dark
Where we find ourselves
Awake in a nightmare.  

Less than nothing
A double negative
Beneath three zeros
And there you have it
None of the above or neither.

This is a time of nothingness
As the dumb dogs snarl
Eating each other
In a kill chain
And fighting over the bones. 


Two 

But a good man
Should do what he can
Even here
And even now.   

I swallowed it down
And turned to what I had
Finding everything I treasured
And loving them anyway.

I glued my memories
In a shadow box
Sea shells and toys
Magnets and pins.

The little sentimental reminders
From a time before
Bits and pieces of time
Of varied meaning.

I cut my finger
While cleaning the glass
So I hid two droplets
Inside a hidden corner. 

A perfect seal
From imperfect hands
Carefully placed
In a box of dreams.

The best things in life
Are what we give away
The lesson my father taught me
In a full and rich season
Many years ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment