Monday, February 27, 2012

Black Blanket


Black Blanket 2/27/2012


It is past midnight
But long before
The sun shall rise
The bewitching hours
That always come
In the deepest, darkest black.

This is the time for accidents
And this is the time for murder
When so many have fallen
Into endless sleep.

Afraid of the sun
And the cruelty of life
They have pulled up the black blanket
And shut their eyes forever.

Crawling into the deep abyss
And sinking into
A deep black hole
Just before the spring
And just before the sun.

The morning brings reality
And the rays of the sun
Shed light upon our secrets
Exposing our desperation
And chasing all the shadows.

Once I hated the days
And I sought to avoid them
Sleeping them away
In drunken delirium.

But there are thoughts
No one can avoid
And there is no hiding place
Too deep to find.

I was angry
And I was sad
More fascinated with death
Than I was with life.

I wanted to destroy
And I wanted to forget
Breaking through the walls
And kicking down the doors.

Glass sparkles in the night
Shattered into a million pieces
Reflecting the strobe lights
Red and blue.

I wanted to stay there forever
And stare into red neon
Glowing forever
And pulsating.

The music echoing
Inside of my head
Turning over and over in my mind
So I didn’t have to think
And I didn’t have to feel.

But that was the night
The night before I knew
My desperation giving way
To a whole new
Sense of self.

I have opened my eyes
To the smallest of pleasures
Just in time to realize
That love can survive.

The bewitching hour is here
But it doesn’t last forever
Daybreak shall come
To those willing to ask
And endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment