Friday, July 1, 2016

The Scourge



The Scourge        7/1/2016

Be careful what you lean on
Lest it be
Suddenly removed
Leaving you to tumble
Head over heels.

Falling far below
Without a handhold
Spiraling down a wormhole
Desperate and alone.

I leaned on many things
And all of them disappeared
Swept away before my eyes
In a deadly
Coups De grace.

Mortally wounded
And free falling down
I was left for dead
In a haunted house.

I knew
But could not see
And I understood
But had not lived. 

A fattened calf
Sacrificed unaware
Nothing but a heavy debt
Sold for a song. 

A still living avatar
Force to witness the end
My nose rubbed in defeat
Over and over again. 

Nothing but a dead slab of meat
Awake but motionless
A passionless heap
Empty and limp. 

Savaged by predators
And picked clean by greed
The unconscious body
Used and defiled.

I walked with the ghosts
Bloodless in the shadows
A memory unable to surrender
And a soul
Unable to escape. 

I should have known better
And shook myself awake
Better able to fight
And survive. 

Avoiding the fall
And keeping the treasure
A wise steward of fortune
Rich and fat.

But the rich
And the fat
Remain as they were
Safe in the castles
Protected and blind.

Seduced by power
And all that it will buy
They just keep on doing
What they always did before. 

But in loss
We are chastened
And in defeat
We must question. 

Learning by error
We either grow or die
Forced to seek out answers
Buried in our soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment