Friday, October 18, 2013

Cutting Teeth



Cutting Teeth  10/18/2013

The dog salivates on command
And a fool sees what he wants
Assigning brilliance or stupidity
To the packaging
And not the prize.

Make a speech
And lie every minute
Because no one cares
What happens
As long as it affirms their ignorance.

A bag of cells means nothing
And a false narrative carries the day
As they careen from crisis to crisis
And never seem to learn. 

Remind me not to care
Because I know what it feels like
And it’s something you can never forget
No matter how hard you try.

My teeth were bleeding
But no one called or cared
And I lost all that I had
But no one gave a damn.

I was honest
And I was good
But I remained at the bottom
Ridiculed and shamed.

I knew then
And I know now
What it was
And why it happened.

This house will never last
And this house cannot stand
Unevenly slanted
Against all that matters
And all that is good. 

The truth is a treasure
Because that is what lasts
Because what is given can be lost
But what is earned endures.


No comments:

Post a Comment