Friday, May 12, 2017

Long Shadows




Long Shadows            May 12, 2017


I rode the 103
The day I could hardly breathe
Inching along a valley
Surrounded by mountains
Of concrete and steel.

Useless as a dirty Kleenex
Discarded in the trash
Beneath towering glaciers
Of reflective glass.

Nothing and no one
The strangers that I saw
In front and behind
Heading home
In tin cans.

Me, just an ant crushed
Along the way
Nothing but an afterthought
My guts in my mouth
And all washed away.

I remembered other days
When I had walked the streets
In a different universe
Split off
And blown away.

Squeezed through a pin point
I had lost my world
A stranger in a strange land
Alien and cruel.

The weight of the sun
Suffocating my lungs
As I sat in my seat
Sacrificed for nothing
And sold out for fun.

Gone were the shops
And vanished were the cafes
Nothing but half remembered dust
Dried up and disappeared.

Sometimes I wonder
What all of it was for
All that I gave up
And all that I lost.

No one wants to lose
But in the end
We lose it all
Shedding our skin
Like it never happened at all.

Sometimes we get a glimpse
But it is gone
Before we can grasp
The incalculable loss
Of what was
And might have been. 

If for everything
There is a reason
Then this should be great
My treasure in heaven
And my love ten times
Ten thousand. 

I pray I see you there
But we shall also,
Have it here
A new world
And a kingdom
Of everlasting joy.

Never give up
And never give in
Even in the shadows
Insurmountably long.
We shall yet, emerge
Through the eye
Right side up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment