Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Strangers

Strangers                  10/3/2017



I drove by the storefronts
But I couldn’t read the signs
Long ago given up
A stranger in a strange land.

The change crept in
And spread like an epidemic
At first a trickle
And then a flood. 

No one ever asked me
And no one dared speak
That all we had was stolen
A stranger in a strange land. 

I watched my son ride his bike
Keeping pace the best I could
No longer safe to roam
A stranger in a strange land.

On the elevator
And on the 103
I know I am the hated
One against many
A stranger in a strange land. 

Penalized for every mistake
I learned to walk the line
Watching others do
What they want
Untouchable and immune.

I went back
To my home town
Boarded up and alien
A stranger in a strange land. 

Retracing my steps
I remember what they taught
But now I know
It was all a lie
A stranger in a strange land. 

A whole world lost
And now its memory erased
With malice and palatable hatred
Attacked and destroyed.

If you can see the truth
In the present
Then you can see future
The threats of today
And the murder of tomorrow. 

No lie can cover it up
The reality in the street
Exactly the opposite
Of everything on TV.

Step by step
And hour by hour
The signs of the harvest
Rich, ripe, and heavy.

Hanging low
Above our heads
The fruit of lies
And deliberate deception. 

By every means
The voices are silenced
No matter how low
Or blatantly vile. 

The honest abused
And labeled
Shunned or even worse
The days and the times
A stranger in a strange land. 

Bleached out
And scrubbed clean
Everything scoured
And sanitized.

Besieged by ghosts
Who never have a reason
The truth obscured
Dead in the dark. 

Deep is the deception
And deep are the lies
Layered thick
And impossible to know. 

The monster grows
And multiplies
The tentacles
Reaching in
And reaching down. 

Afraid of the punishment
Many dare not speak
Too afraid to warn
The young
And the innocent. 

Now I walk
In the dangerous waters
Muddy and unfamiliar
Murky with blood.

Nothing but a stranger
In a strange land
An alien gasping for breath
In an atmosphere of lies

It will never smell better
Already covered
And already cleansed
The truth hidden for all
Nothing but strangers
In a strange land. 

From here on out
Remember who to ask
Careful as a stranger
In a dark
And dangerous land.  

No comments:

Post a Comment