Thursday, February 23, 2017

Second Avenue



Second Avenue                   2/23/2017

I curled up on the couch
Underneath the windows
In the quiet of the day
Peaceful and warm.

Looking up at the sunbeam
The dust particles danced in my eyes
Lazily floating through the air
Another day
Lost to time. 

We could have been left alone
But what fun
Would that have been?
Even if we never asked
And even if we never tired. 

I was almost asleep
When my son
Jumped on me
Square in the middle
Laughing at me
And full of delight. 

I remembered the old house
The one that I grew up in
Lost in a sunbeam
Suspended in a dream.

Divided up
And falling down
Just like many others
The decaying reminders
Of what might have been.

All that others built
Now lies in ruins
Sold for nothing
And occupied by strangers.

But it is I
Who is the stranger
An alien in his own land
Deliberately muted
And massively displaced.

I watch it from afar
Knowing it is a lie
The culmination of men
Craven and cruel. 

They will never learn
And they slowly kill themselves
Ignorant till the end
With a knife at their throat.

Selling us out
And inch at a time
Erased from history
And covered by time. 

My father built many things
And now he rests with angels
Speaking to my son
At the salute of guns.

The world is rotten
And evil never sleeps
Slithering in
The tiniest of cracks. 

Come quickly Lord
And save all you can
Gathering the good
And burning the evil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment