Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Four Thousand Three Hundred Eighty

Four Thousand Three Hundred Eighty         12/5/2017



Twelve years,
Four thousand,
Three hundred
And eighty days.

Another drop in the barrel
In an endless deluge
Under the bridge
And out to sea.

That was the day
When I was awakened
Eyes wide with horror
As the beast emerged
Sudden and savage. 

Caught unaware
I did not see it coming
Deceived and betrayed
By the worst of swindlers
In sheep’s clothing. 

Looking backwards
It all falls together
One foot in front of the other
On the highroad to hell. 

Money, convenience
Advantage, and status
None of us mean anything
To soulless ambition. 

Nothing but a weigh station
Or a stepping stone
A place to kill time
On their way
To a goal. 

They left me to fall
Hoping I would die
Derailed at full speed
And into the abyss. 

It took me a long time
To crawl my way out
Hand over hand
Blood in my mouth
And death in my eyes. 

Inch by inch
And day by day
Up and over
Humbled and straight. 

Twisting through
The battlefield of my mind
Strewn with reminders
Of doubt
And self-loathing. 

At last
I learned to smile
And at last
I learned to love
But no longer safe
And no longer secure. 

My debt is paid
But many
Still postpone the hour
Staving off the reckoning
Closer every day. 

Let it all fall back
And heap upon him
The one who sought my life
And stole all he could. 

Let God judge
Between us
As I walk
Under his wings. 

Healed and protected
I am paid in full
Awaiting in faith
The fullness of time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment