Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Eleven Eight Sixteen

Eleven Eight                                          11/8/2016



I stood in line
And watched the sun rise
Filled with anticipation 
And defiant determination.

But others have also lived
And faced insurmountable odds
Charging straight into the teeth
Of likely defeat
And certain death.

The air had a chill
And my hands
Were deep in my pockets
Staring into an easterly orange.

We didn’t talk much
But I could hear
Some hushed conversations
As we all stood
On a chilly Tuesday morning. 

I saw a baby
Chewing on a blanket
And I told his mother
That my son did the same. 

Far away from here
In a land
Long gone away
And almost disappeared.

Fools may not know
And evil never gives up
Always patient
And always cunning. 

The fight lasts forever
And bloodiest of battles
Are often in our head
For many are the fallen
Dumb, foolish, and dead. 

It is now that we meet
And it is now that we ride
Doing whatever it takes
No matter how long
Or how hard.

Up the hill
And into the teeth
Straight through the gates
Ready, willing
And full of fire. 

Burning so bright
That darkness becomes day
The spirit aflame
Furiously burning
Yellow, orange, and red. 

No comments:

Post a Comment