Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Death of a Good Man

Transitions 2/8/2011

In memory of LT

Life is full of chances
And chances are full of meaning
As if anything is purely random
That we breathe
And survive.

We don’t always think
About how lucky we are
Eternal beings immersed in life
Transient souls
On a journey through time.

We are born against all odds
At a specific point in time
Struggling to walk and learn
Unique and dependent.

Our parents chosen for us
In a cosmic game of numbers
With a result wholly different
And one of a kind.

We share the building blocks
But each have a different soul
A mere vessel for the spirit
To come and flow throughout.

One day someone knocked on your door
Out of all the places
And out of all the times
A man connected by the thinnest of dreams
A messenger with a prayer.

Just down Old Peachtree
In another house
I moved in
Without any reason
And without any plan.

I never knew what it felt like
To have God fill my heart
As I was busy putting up pictures
And painting all the walls.

It was the same year
That I got married
And it was the same year
They knocked on your door.

He started something bigger
And lived just down my street
A chance I would have missed
If not for a newspaper
Thrown in my yard.

There are so many messages
That we simply pass over
Never looking and never knowing
But for some larger reason
She looked and decided.

She walked in
But I trailed behind
Always unsure and nervous
But she knew she needed something
And I came in behind.

You were there
Against all the reasons I know
And you welcomed lost strangers
As if they had never left.

I will never forget the warmth I felt
And I will never forget the home I found
A precious gift of great value
A hearty laugh and a warm heart.

I didn’t really fit in
Bu that didn’t matter to you
And I drank up all the love
And didn’t give much back.

I was quiet and unsure
So I liked to listen
But in time I too spoke
And you listened.

You called me
When my mother was dying
With good advice and kind words
And, I was sustained.

We found a home there that day
And for many days after
I enjoyed real fellowship
And felt real joy.

My knowledge and my faith
Were strengthened
And I am better
For having known you.

And you prayed for me
When I came in wounded
How I will never forget that day
As much lost as I was found
With all my dreams in ruins.

Looking back
I see how fragile love is
And I see how precious time can be
Like the sparks from a sparkler
On the fourth of July
Lighting up the kids faces
For just a fraction of time.

I have fallen backwards
And now my home is gone
The pastor we all loved is gone
And my family moved away.

I was so very empty
And I was so very sad
Wounded to the very soul
And wanting to die.

I had lost so much
That the despair was overwhelming
And I thought that everything
Had lost its meaning
And it seemed foolish to go on
Living with the ghosts.

Time has past
And I regret not returning
And I pray for those still there
But know they are blessed.

A life well lived is a great treasure
And a heart well used
Is God’s greatest joy
Bigger than its years
And remembered always.

A new life has started to stir
And soon I shall have a son
Another chance and another life
In a family of unknown multitudes.

You are in a better place
Than any we have known
Ready for God’s next commission
Well earned and ready to go.

I hope to see you there
And I know
You will welcome me again
A good man and a great friend.




No comments:

Post a Comment