Thursday, February 7, 2019

The return

Undefeated                                    2/7/2018


I had me a house
And I had me a family
In a ghost world
Long ago
And far away. 

She was my everything
Far more than I knew
My brown eyed girl
Who gave me everything.

Many are the memories
And many are the reminders
All that was
And is no more. 

Young and dumb
Fresh and sweet
An unblemished lamb
Perfect for slaughter.

Awakened by the knife
Far too late to change
Deeply wounded
And bleeding to death. 

Still in the snow
Red, dead and white
Sacrificed for nothing
And sold for a song. 

That was me
And that was then
Long long ago
And far far way. 

A mirrored image
Both dead and alive
Just like here
And just like now. 

Here I am
The same and also different
An unacknowledged ghost
Up and down the halls. 

Seen through
And spoken over
An unwelcome reminder
Easily ignored. 

Others knew
And gambled
With my life
Empty people
Shallow and cruel. 

Trusting in themselves
And testing the odds
Probing every day
For something to steal. 

Hands under the table
They who have no shame
Anything to win
One life for another. 

They flattened my tire
And they cut me in half
Cut off
And cut short
Dead in the water.

Calling me up
Just to see
Where I was
False friends
And true enemies.

In a world of lies
Many have died
One man’s life
For another mans
Pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment